Primary Care Physicians

What specialists should I refer my patient to if he/she is diagnosed with a hearing loss?

Referrals to appropriate medical specialists such as an otolaryngologist and geneticist* may be indicated by the diagnostic audiologic evaluation. * The majority of children with hearing loss have a genetic component even if they do not have a syndrome or dysmorphic features.

Additional medical referrals may need to be made to neurology, cardiology, nephrology and developmental pediatrics. See "What are the risk factors for late-onset and early childhood hearing loss?" for a list of syndromes commonly associated with hearing loss.

    Share this article...

The Newborn Hearing Screening and Intervention Program of the PA Department of Health (PA DOH) works with physicians to ensure that babies receive a hearing screening no later than 1 month of age and that babies who do not pass their hearing screening receive a diagnostic evaluation by an audiologist no later than 3 months of age.

Find out more about the Newborn Hearing Screening and Intervention Program

Let us assist you in finding an audiologist in your area

Locate an audiologist