What is a Parent Guide?
GBYS Parent Guides are parents of children who are deaf, hard of hearing or deafblind who have received special training that prepares them to function in this important capacity. Parent Guides are able to bring their direct experience, specialized knowledge, and personal compassion to their role while making the family's needs their primary focus. They have been where you are and are willing to listen and share their experience.
Who is eligible for the program?
Families of Pennsylvania infants and toddlers (ages birth to 3) who have a hearing loss.
What can the GBYS program do for my family?
GBYS Parent Guides located throughout the state provide:
- Timely emotional support at the point of diagnosis of hearing loss
- Direct parent/peer support and networking
- Unbiased information and resource sharing specific to hearing loss, including insights on navigating the systems from a parent perspective
- Support to families throughout the Infant/Toddler Early Intervention years by combining an experienced parent's insight with knowledge of Early Intervention and educational systems
- Information about other parent support opportunities
How much does the GBYS program cost?
The GBYS program is provided to families at no cost.
How do I request a GBYS Parent Guide?
- Complete the Guide By Your Side Referral Form
- Or call the Hands & Voices Guide By Your Side™ of PA Program Coordinator at 1-800-360-7282 x3908 (in PA only) or 717-541-4960 x3908
To order the GBYS rack card or request a contact from the GBYS Coordinator, please complete and mail this contact form or contact the GBYS Coordinator at the phone number or e-mail above.